Friday, February 3, 2012

Marathon Training

Well it has been a month of running and honestly I have already felt like quitting. I am trying something new though and it seems to be helping squash the excuses that keep coming up. My local gym is having a deal where it is only $10 a month to be a member. Now I can run early in the morning or late at night where otherwise my excuse would be safety running alone in the dark. Also, when it is sleeting, like the day I joined, I can run without getting deathly ill or slipping on the icy sidewalks. In other news, I got some brand new running shoes. They are Brooks and I love them. It's official, I must complete my training now because these cute shoes are too expensive to go to waste :)
Let me tell you a couple of things that have helped me keep up with the program on the days that I just don't want to. Number one: I tell myself I just have to get out there no matter what. Just show up. I also tell myself it is okay if I just walk the mileage. The important thing is to just get out the door. I have yet to "just walk the mileage", but it is comforting to know I am okay with that as long as I am not skipping out all together. Number two: I talk to myself while I am running and I feel like walking. It is kind of awkward, but really helps. Tell yourself things like, "I am a runner", "I am so proud of myself", "I will run a marathon", "I am amazing." Number three: I have had so much fun telling people I am training for a marathon and why I am doing it. It constantly gives me a little boost to reaffirm that what I am doing is going to be an amazing life event and is worth the effort that it takes every single day.
Someday I will be this intense. Someday. Not today. But someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment