Monday, January 30, 2012

Dresser Redo

Hubby and I decided we needed a new dresser. Of course we also didn't want to shell out a couple of hundred dollars for one either so we began to scour online classifieds and the thrift store. I wanted to spend about $20 dollars, but we ended up falling in love with this quality dresser for $35. It is sturdy, solid and needed a little TLC. The wood veneer was chipped on all of the sides and most of the metal handles were falling apart. I wish I had taken a "before" picture, but forgot.
After peeling away the old veneer and a lot of sanding, we added a little wood putty to cover up some blemishes and some tinted primer which you can see on the drawers above. On top of that we added a beautiful dark blue paint and then a couple of layers of wood lacquer to give it a nice clean finish. The finishing touch were these sleek little knobs and handles we found at Home Depot.
It was a lot of work and took a lot of time and I love the result. The hardest part was finding the perfect place for our new dresser to rest. Finally, we filled the bottom of our open closet with it which suites us perfectly for now, but most likely isn't permanent.

No comments:

Post a Comment